Pages

Friday, 1 February 2013

TED talks and 30 day challenges


It's a new year, and I'm spending my nights at home and my days at uni to try and finish an overdue chapter.

Which means a Friday night in; dinner on my bed while watching Midnight in Paris, and TED talk after TED talk, clicking on links, writing notes, planning a better year for 2013. In the next few months I have a chapter to finish, another chapter to start and finish, a conclusion and editing and submission, a conference in the UK, a holiday in London, and a trip to Russia waiting for me at the other end. I'm not going to fit it all in if sleep ins and Tumblr have a say.

So! Inspired by Matt Cutts 'Try something new for 30 days' here's the plan:
Starting tomorrow
  • Write a blog post or otherwise contribute to my blog every night I'm home
  • Use meesleep - an app that measures how long you sleep (and nap!) for each day - and cut my sleeping down to less than 8hrs 30mins a day
  • Don't check tumblr or facebook or email or any of those other bits and bobs on my phone in the first hour of my day
30 day plans for the future include:
  • Going on a date once per week
  • Ringing a friend - instead of texting or msging - once per week
  • Not watching TV unless I'm eating (love my morning show and breakkie routine!), spending time with my flatmates or other friends in front of the TV, or I've premeditated watching a particular show.
Matt Cutts: Try something new for 30 days

And just to promise that I still have my feminist hat on, here's an awesome TED talk by Colin Stokes on 'How movies teach manhood'. No surprises that Brave (my favourite!) gets the thumbs up.

Colin Stokes: How movies teach manhood

He also recaps for us the Bechdel test.
Does a movie:
1: Have at least two female characters?
2: Do they share a scene talking to each other?
3: Is their conversation about something other than a fail?

Ok so the last clause is actually Is their conversation about something other than a male? But that Freudian slip was too good to delete.

Nope? Then it fails the Bechdel test. Pretty awful once you realise how many do.

1 comment:

  1. I've only just now watched the TED talk - so good at articulating that unease I have when watching most movies, especially your typical American action movie, where the hero single-handedly takes a gun and saves the day - I knew they were bad, now I know WHy they're bad.

    ReplyDelete